Saturday, January 23, 2010

Dust To Dust

I had an interesting conversation with someone today, that inspired me to ponder whether my current belief, toward the material things that I've acquired, purchased, been given, or inherited, is prudent or frivolous.

I grew up being taught to appreciate all that you have and work hard to keep it. The monetary value of the object is not necessarily the most important factor when the time comes to dispose of it. Some things, whether expensive or not, may have an entirely different value associated with it than that of the almighty dollar. In fact, some things might be priceless to one, and valueless to another. And if it's yours, appreciate it for whatever value it represents to you.

But now, at a crossroads in my life, where I have more material items than I have need for, and no siblings or no one left that would appreciate them as I do, the question was raised as "Why not just get rid of them?" I started making excuses for the reasons, such as, well that used to be my fathers, or I have sweat equity in it that can't be valued or some other emotional attachment. All were my reasons for "storing" these items in a house that's bigger than I need or can easily afford. And wouldn't need the house other than for the items I have accumulated over the years.
I have been accused of being a pack rat by some,
but I don't think it's quite that bad.
The point that was being made during this conversation was simple. I am the only one that cares anything about those "materialistic possessions". When your dead, no one will remember the reasons you kept it. And they will only be burdened with disposing of the items. And after several years, no one will probably remember you. So why not dispose of the items now and live the rest of your life in simplicity and in a non-materialistic fashion.

The Zac Brown Band song was brought up to add to the imagery of the type of simplistic life style being described. Without making mention of that song, you might think I was pondering becoming a Monk. Rest assured, there's no Monk style in my future. But I have to tell you, I was caught at maybe a weak moment and pondered the possibility of reversing my life long quest at acquiring the "things" I like, for instead making my new life's goal to be one placing me on a beach, sitting in the sun with my feet in the water and my butt in the sand! And get rid of everything that I have bought, packed, moved and stared at, that has any emotional attachment to me. And live only with the memories in my mind and heart.

Ummm. Memories that exist in my mind and heart. They can't be destroyed or taken away, or sold or given and it would seem that they would be closer to me at all times without the burden of moving them, dusting them off or making room for them. That seems very practical. Now that's not saying the things I use everyday or even once in awhile would be part of this concept. Obviously some things are part of me rather than an attachment to someone else who existed for a period of time in my life but no longer exists. Those items should remain until I deem them no longer necessary.

It says in the Bible that you come into this life with nothing and you should leave this life with nothing. Dust to Dust. And that started making a lot of sense to me. But I think I'd like to change the image that Dust to Dust presents by saying "Sand to Sand" instead. What do you think?


2 comments:

Derek said...

Very introspective post John.

Tracilyn Hobson said...

I am all about minimalism and simplicity. Americans are generally afflicted with a severe case of AFFLUENZA. I'm the opposite. Love it, JJ.